Friday, August 20, 2010

A Less Strict Approach

IMG_3534

Goat Cheese Souffle.
Recipe from here.


IMG_3535

I made it with thyme and tarragon from the garden.


IMG_3531

I served it with an arugula (store bought), heirloom tomato and cucumber salad (our own garden veggies).

Slices of homegrown watermelon and honeydew melon.

Bread and Tomory's homemade quince paste 2010 edition.

I used Natsumi's napkins.

IMG_3538

And ran outside after dinner to photograph the yuccas in bloom in the front yard, because I could not resist the evening light.


IMG_3544


"This was a time, the early 1970's, when Katherine and Conrad and Jean and Brian Moore and John and I traded plants and dogs and favors and recipes and would have dinner at one or another of our houses a couple times a week.

I remember that we all made souffles. Conrad's sister Nancy in Papeete had shown Katherine how to make them work without effort and Katherine showed me and Jean. The trick was a less strict approach than generally advised. "

- Joan Didion, "The Year of Magical Thinking."

2 comments:

Janis said...

mmmm...I like that very much. Good life, real life... xo

natsumi said...

These look so delicious! Homegrown watermelon sounds great!! I would love to try it too... Thank you for the mention about my napkins!