Friday, August 13, 2010

6a00d8341c526553ef01311008376a970c-800wi
did0-002a
IMG_7193

Above: Photos 1,2 of Joan Didion - sources unknown- apologies. 3rd photograph: Portrait of the blogger by Tomory Dodge - Having a Didion Moment (superficially, in terms of eye wear & hair style at least) Paris, 2009.

I'm reading a lot of Joan Didion this summer. I've already read the White Album, and Play It As It Lays.

I must say, Play It As It Lays is one devastatingly scary book.

The film version of Play It As Lays is being shown here next week. The screenplay for the film was written by Didion and her husband, John Gregory Dunne (pictured in the first photo with their daughter, Quintana Roo Dunne) I'm currently reading Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking...which is a memoir about her life with her husband and mourning his death and her daughter's (also now deceased) illness ...harrowing, heartbreaking- my pitiful descriptives can't do this book justice.



4 comments:

Janis said...

That took me by surprise! I like the sun glass theme - you look like an international best selling author :^)

- I have heard some interviews with Joan D and I am not quite ready to face the heaviness of that memoir yet. Though it sounds full and completely engaging... someday when the clouds lift :^)

Amber said...

Wow, I can't believe we have never talked about this. Play It as It Lays is hands down one of my favorite books, (The Year of Magical Thinking is the one that scared me). You have to go see the film, it's never been released on DVD. I saw it on some stray cable movie channel. Classic early 70s American film. Tuesday Weld!

Jennifer said...

Janis,
Year of Magical Thinking is heavy, but it is also beautiful. I don't know if there is ever a good time to read it, but I think it is a must. Besides being about death, fear, grief and mourning, it is also really about life, love, and the beauty of relationships. Hope your clouds evaporate soon...

Amber,
that is so weird! I really loved the book, but there are so many horrific images that just stay with you. The scary thing is how much I understood Maria. I'm really nothing like her, but that is Didion's genius, I guess- that she can write that kind of character and make her understood by the reader.
Also: Just listened to the latest Midget/ T.D. Mix- it's really good!!! I love your singing on that track.

Anonymous said...

oh... i LOVE joan didion! she is so smart and clear eyed and honest and beautiful. you really do have such a likeness to her. i bought a big mapplethorpe book of his women photos and didion has a great essay at the beginning — they are a great pair.