Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year's Reading


One of my resolutions for 2009 is to read more. I used to be such a good reader, but once I started nursing school, all of my reading time was suddenly devoted to textbooks. I graduated almost two years ago, but still I haven't really resumed reading novels on a regular basis.
My first book I plan to read this year is "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson. I'll let you know how it is!





Another type of reading I've engaged in recently and wanted to share with you: Above- three images from "World Textiles: A Visual Guide to Traditional Techniques" by Gillow and Sentance. I found this book rummaging through the bookstore at LACMA. It's incredible!
Each page contains endless inspiration and a nice overview on the various aforementioned techniques. A must- have for anyone interested in textile design.



Above: A page from Jonathan Adler's book, "My Prescription for Anti- Depressive Living."
I really love Jonathan Adler's work and design aesthetic. This is a fun, chatty, book containing some very practical advice. I also loved how JA openly discussed his creative partnership with his husband Simon Doonan. It's a bit revolutionary in that way! If you've ever been to the Parker or are curious about it, this book contains lots of photos of Adler's work there. I really enjoyed sitting down with this one- you can't help but smile as you read it.

Last but certainly not least: "Marimekko: Fabrics, Fashions, Architecture"

A look from 1953 by designer Vuokko Nurmesniemi.

Annika Rimala at work.

Above: Maija Isola painting, Below: A textile design by Isola.



Above: Skirts made with fabric designed by Maija Isola. Below: A Pentti Rinta gown.



Also a fantastic book. Just filled with eye-candy and several essays I am making my way through. It's fascinating reading about the evolution of this company.

Another resolution for the New Year:
"Find people to love and share your life with. Surrender to your relationships and make them as happy and sweet as you possibly can." - Jonathan Adler

3 comments:

Leslie said...

happy new year!!
i love seeing what others are reading.
and often i follow suit.
i'm looking forward to your book updates!

seesaw designs said...

love Mr. Adler & the Parker - wish I could live there!

Ritva said...

these marimekko photos make me smile. lots of memories :)