Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Inspired By:

Inspired by Elizabeth (whose designs are always an inspiration)-- Some things I find inspiring right now:

pj

Music: PJ Harvey- Let England Shake. I love the oddness of these songs, and her voice on this record. When I first heard some of the songs on the radio, I didn't even recognize it as being her.
I admire an artist who is willing to take risks and try something different.

Before And After Science_t

Eno: Before and After Science
. We just bought this on vinyl. I've always liked Here Come the Warm Jets, and Another Green World- I don't know why I haven't listened to this more!

You can hear Eno's future work with the Talking Heads in this album
(nerd alert: The title for the track "Kings Lead Hat" is actually an anagram of "Talking Heads") , and listening to it again- I now realize that James Murphy and TV on the Radio have enjoyed this record, too.

jlf7043
jlf7006

Judy Linn's photographs of Robert Mapplethorpe & Patti Smith.
Smith & Mapplethorpe are so young, beautiful, and so aware of their potential even back then.

mina01

Photo: Yu-i Chan.


Mina Perhonen Catalogs
.
Every catalog is printed in a different format. The design is carefully considered. Art objects in themselves. I can't wait to get my hands on the new Spring catalog.

susandresses01

Susan Cianciolo & Mike Mills
.
I must thank Katie Hanburger of The Slow Season for introducing me to this- I had been a fan of Cianciolo's work- but was completely unaware of Mike Mills' textile designs and his collaboration with Cianciolo until Katie tipped me off.
Expands my ideas of what fashion can be.

tumblrarchive

My Tumblr
archive
.
I love going to my Tumblr and hitting the archive link. It's fun to notice the connections in moods, patterns, designs and colors between all of the images I have collected here.

ruutukaava+marimekko+copy

Marimekko.
My dream for ERMIE- to one day be as great as this design house. YES to ERMIE dresses, textiles, & housewares !












10 comments:

SASHA said...

heyyyyy yr tumblr is rad:)))

Galit said...

Enjoyed your post and inspirational links so much!!!
Those photographs of Robert Mapplethorpe & Patti Smith touched my heart in a strange way. I was reading your line "aware of their potential even back then" a couple of times. Interesting. It's a great quality I think, to be aware of your own potential isn't it?

Marimekko is a good aim, but as great as it is, and it is no doubt one of the greatest, I find your designs much more personal and interesting.
Here's to ERMIE design house!!

Anne-Marie said...

So fascinating! I love seeing the connections of all the things that inspire you.

Jennifer said...

I totally agree--the Ermie design house will rock the world!

I'm loving tumblr too, and your choices are pretty awesome.

(Love this post; nice to see what inspires you!)

P R I M O E Z A said...

love this jennifer. i am also a huge fan of pj harvey and i notice you reference mina perhonen a lot. i've never seen a catalogue in real life but i really want to now. where do you get them from?

jennifer said...

Gorgeous inspirations.
I really need to learn tumblr:)

Anonymous said...

can definitely see an ermie design house in your future !

Anonymous said...

new pj harvey album is so so good, i knew it would be. i loooooooove her, always have, for so long, since i was a teenager playing 'dress' on repeat. she has so much permanence, such an artist with such a voice, i love everything she does, totally. :)

Jennifer said...

Elizabeth- RE: MP Catalogs-
I get them via Hiki's store: Uguisu Shoten.
It's listed under " Favorite Merchants" on my link list.
Sometimes she lists them in her store for sale, other times I have emailed her & inquired about the latest catalog.

Janis said...

I am wishing for your dream(s) to come true - xo