Friday, March 25, 2011

Food and Drink

IMG_5682
IMG_5700
IMG_5701
IMG_5692
IMG_5695
IMG_5694
IMG_5696
IMG_5697
IMG_5699

In keeping with the previous post, I thought I'd share with you some of the meals we have had this week.

First, Tomory made a delicious savory pie: Chorizo, Potatoes, Red Peppers, Manchego Cheese, and Arugula. Recipe from the current Sunset Magazine.

He said it was easy to make- would definitely eat this again!

Last night it was my turn to cook & it's been cold & rainy here in Los Angeles so I made Schnitzel based on Ashely's Omi's Recipe. My only variation was that I rubbed the pork with the minced garlic, and then kind of pounded it into the meat. So good. I made sides of Kale sauteed with olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce; Hashbrowns from potatoes first boiled, then grated, fried in a little olive oil & seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika; and Apple slices sauteed in the Schnitzel drippings. Served with 3 different German beers from Galco's in Highland Park.
Have you been to Galco's? The Soda Pop Shop? If not- you must!
Aisles and aisles of sodas, bottled water, tea, beer and wine that are hard to find elsewhere and many, many beverages that you have never even heard of! They sell old-fashioned candy, too. They have the most beautiful old cashier stands! You can buy individual bottles of any of the sodas, beers, etc. One of the beers I purchased was from Germany's oldest brewery that has been making beer since 1328!
I also bought a six pack of Pellegrino Chinotto. Basically bitters- the very thing to have after a heavy meal of Schnitzel!

Happy weekend!




7 comments:

jane said...

god i love these shots. they should be made into postcards. have a great weekend jennifer!
xxx

Rebekka Seale said...

This post makes me miss LA terribly. I've never lived there, and have only spent a total of three months there, but I miss it terribly nonetheless!!!

Anonymous said...

wow, all of that food looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

love this post! they should give you a gift certificate to shop there just for your awesome photos.

xo

Beklina said...

I love how these were shot. Makes me want to travel.

Oh, and I'm totally obsessed with checks right now too! Did you see the Prada video? It makes me crazy. -in a good way :)

Anne-Marie said...

That pie looks absolutely amazing. I must look it up.

Jennifer said...

Gee thanks for the nice comments- and here I was feeling kind of badly about taking so many photos of late with my iPhone (my 'real' digital camera is dying).

Anne-Marie: the recipe is actually from the current issue of Sunset Mag :)
I was incorrect before.