For this post I thought I'd show you my first creation of 2010: The Summer Blouse from Heather Ross' book Weekend Sewing.
The Summer Blouse was pretty easy. It was my first experience with making darts, and placing sleeves on a garment. Tackling both was much simpler than I expected. Surprise, surprise: darts really do make a difference with a garment's shape (duh)!
Now that I know how to put in sleeves, I have no idea why I avoided doing so in the first place (previously I just cut the sleeves already attached to the dress body / shirt pieces that I made for my ERMIE line).
Here's hoping that zippers and buttonholes will be easier than I expected.
I made this blouse in a Nani Iro Linen/ Cotton Gauze from her 2009 line, and trimmed it with Liberty Tana Lawn. The bias tape is a pre-made Japanese linen tape, and the quirky little button is also Nani Iro.
If I make this blouse again, I'll make it a little bit longer, more like a tunic or dress (I have a long waist, so most shirts annoyingly tend to be a little cropped on me if not cut on the longer side). Well, onto the next project!
Take a look at these fashionistas from around the globe!